Everything About This Salad Sings "Spring!"
Written by Gayle
There's nothing like fresh salads to help me feel the joy of a beautiful Spring day. We are lucky to have wonderful produce year round, but when I saw papayas in the Ventura store on my visit this week, I had to make this fantastic salad. It is inspired by my sister-in-law, Doris, and adapted from one of her recipes.
Papaya Spring Salad
For the Salad You'll Need:
- 1 small bunch organic Romaine lettuce hearts, washed and chopped
- 1 head organic Bibb lettuce, washed and chopped
- 1 bunch organic watercress, washed and larger stems removed
- 1 organic papaya, peeled and seeded (reserve 1/4 of the seeds for the dressing), and chopped
- 1 organic Ruby or pink grapefruit, peeled and fruit removed from segment membranes
- 2 organic avocados, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
Blend together for the Dressing:
- 1/3 cup Agave syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white or yellow onion, chopped
- Seeds from 1/4 of the papaya
- If you would like to plate the salads, toss all of the greens together, then place them on six plates.
- Arrange the avocado and fruit on top of the greens.
- Spoon the dressing on top of the salad, and then sprinkle with the pine nuts.
- If you want to serve this salad family style, just toss all of the greens and fruits together, then pour about half of the dressing on the top, and see if there is enough dressing for your taste. Add more, if desired.
- Sprinkle with the pine nuts and toss again.
This salad is the perfect accompaniment for your Spring Holiday gatherings--or for a luncheon any time. I hope you love it!