If you haven't discovered the ease and fun of making your own hummus, today's post is for you!
- One 15-oz can of organic garbanzo beans, drained, but reserve the liquid. You can also cook your own beans (cover with 2-3 inches of water, soak overnight, then cook about 90 minutes until tender). Use 2 cups.
- 1/3 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 2 TBSP fresh-squeezed organic lemon juice
- 1 large clove organic garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- a pinch cayenne powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 TBSP fresh organic cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste--about 1/4 tsp each
- Assemble all of the ingredients so they are ready to add
- Either in a food processor or a high-speed blender, blend the tahini and lemon juice for about a minute or more until it is light smooth
- Add the garlic and blend for a minute
- Add the olive oil , cilantro, and the spices and blend
- Add the drained garbanzo beans and blend until it reaches the desired consistency
- If the mixture needs a little more moisture, add 1/2 tsp reserved bean liquid at a time
- Taste, and add more spices as desired. Blend until creamy
- Place in a serving bowl, and garnish with a little drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkle of paprika, cayenne, or sesame seeds
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate before serving.
- Will keep about 4 days in the refrigerator
You can play with the basic hummus recipe! Here are some ideas:
- Add 2-3 TSPB additional cilantro and substitute lime juice for the lemon
- Add 2-3 TSBP basil, 1 TBSP oregano, and 2 TBSP sun-dried tomatoes
- Increase garlic cloves to 3 for a more powerful garlic hummus, and add 2 TBSP parsley
- Add 1 tsp dried pepper flakes for a spicier hummus
- Add 1/4 cut goat cheese, smoked paprika (substitute for the regular paprika) and 2 TBSP red wine vinegar instead of the lemon juice
- Add 1/2 cup cooked beets for a gorgeous red, earthy hummus
I served my hummus with Stacy's pita chips and Jillz Gluten-Free crackers--yum! It is also great vegetable sticks.
Healthy, nutritious, easy, budget-friendly--what's not to love?