Sometimes You Find Amazing Things in Surprising Places!
A few weeks ago we discovered a fantastic Thai restaurant kind of in the middle of nowhere. It was a packed and happy place. People were coming and going, some picking up take-out, and others enjoying great food and fun company. Since it was our first time there, we chose our basic Thai favorites, and waited for the unveiling.
The rest of the meal was really great, but the salad knocked my taste buds for a loop! Billed on the menu as a cucumber and tomato salad, we were unprepared for the surprise. I bit into a tomato to discover that it wasn't a tomato.
It was watermelon.
Oh. My. Deliciousness.
I was determined to recreate it, and here is the result, made for a family dinner to rave reviews. So here's my best-guess knock off of Thai Cucumber and Tomato Salad! Perfect for light spring or summer meals!
Thai Cucumber and Tomato Salad
- 3 organic cucumbers, peeled sloppily (some peel remaining) and sliced diagonally
- 1 large or 2 small organic tomatoes--I used a large yellow heirloom--cut in wedges
- 2 cups organic watermelon, cut into thin slices about the same size as the cucumber slices and tomato wedges
- Dressing-- mix together:
- juice of 2 organic limes
- 2 TBSP sesame oil
- 1 TBSP mild tamari sauce
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- Salt to taste (and you know I love the pink Himalayan salt!) --I used about 1/2 tsp
- A handful of chopped organic cilantro
- Dried pepper flakes--as much as you'd like
- Place the sliced cucumbers, wedged tomato slices, and watermelon in a bowl
- Mix the dressing ingredient together, and then toss.
- Salt to taste, and add the cilantro and dried pepper flakes, toss lightly
- Serve immediately, or chill for less than an hour
This salad is definitely going in the regular salad rotation at our house!