Just Looking at this Parfait Will Make You Feel Patriotic!
For a little fun this 4th of July, add this fun parfait to your breakfast or lunch menu! It's simple to put together, and here's a recipe for a healthy, lower fat granola for the crunch!
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts of your choice. I used slivered almonds
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 TBSP maple syrup
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cardamom
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl
- Mix the wet ingredients in a small bowl, and then mix together until everything is distributed well
- Spread the mixture into a parchment lined or non-stick sprayed baking pan, and bake for about 45-60 minutes. Stir it around every 10 minutes or so. It is done when it is dry and golden.
For the Parfait:
- Layer a red fruit (I used raspberries, but strawberries or halved cherries would be great too!) into a parfait glass, goblet, or bowl
- Top with a layer of granola, then with a layer of yogurt or quark.
- Layer some blueberries on top of the yogurt, and then some more granola.
This recipe is very versatile. You can substitute any rolled grains--even an uncooked hot cereal mix! Use whatever nuts you have around, or none at all. Play around with the spices. If you like ginger, substitute it for the cardamom. Pureed cooked yams or pumpkin would be a great substitute for the applesauce. If you would like to add some dried fruit, wait until after the baked granola has cooled, and then mix in raisins, cranberries, dried red cherries, dried blueberries--whatever suits your fancy! Whatever you choose, it will add great flavor to your patriotic parfait!