Take Advantage of Them with a Little Caramel Sauce
Apples, apples, apples! They take me back to my childhood in Central Washington's apple orchards! And September is the perfect time to try a new recipe with this versatile fruit. I love caramel with apples, but wanted to keep this recipe dairy free, so I played with my caramel sauce recipe. I think you'll like the result!
Dairy-Free Caramel Topping
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 2 TBSP water
- 1/8 tsp Red Himalayan Salt
- 2 tsp fresh squeezed organic lemon juice
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk (in the can -- shake it well before opening)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a heavy sauce pan (I like to use cast iron for jobs like this) bring the sugar, water, lemon juice and salt to a boil. Boil for one minute to dissolve the sugar
- Add the coconut milk and vanilla, and bring to a boil again
- Continue to boil for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally and scraping the sides of the pan
- When the sauce gets darkened and thickened, remove from the heat and cool
- This sauce will keep in the refrigerator for 2 weeks
- Sprinkle lightly with Red Himalayan Salt for a salted caramel taste!
This sauce is fantastic with sliced apples or other fruit.
And try it on ice cream! Yuuuummmmm!!